Thursday, September 13, 2012

where does the time go? (cole)


Wait, what? I've now been here for a full month! And you know what, it's actually starting to settle in that I will be here for the next four months. Everyday here feels more and more like home. Classes are in full swing (I've already had some tests!) I'm no longer terrified to take a taxi alone, and the hectic, crowded bus system (combees) doesn't seem nearly as scarey. Corn, potatoes, and chickens are the staples in my diet. My Spanish is improving (well.... sort of.) I'm quick to say "No gracias" to street vendors and keep moving, rather then share my sympathy. The custom of kissing everyone on the cheek seems almost natural. I'm finding my favorite spots around town. And though it is strange to be away from Sewanee for so long, I am quickly falling in love with Cusco.

Although the landscape lacks the greenery that I am so accustomed to, the town is vibrant and colorful. The traditional clothing is beautiful, and so bright. I am dying to get my hands on one of the skirts. The streets are filled with a rich history of Incan culture, and always seem alive.  For being a smaller city, it never really dies down (unlike Sewanee's 1am curfew at frats.) The people here are so kind and helpful, (with the exception of a few harrassing street vendors).  And one of my favorite parts - the town is in a valley of huge, magnificent mountains. It's perfect.

While I sometimes get carried away with the trips and adventures in studying abroad (as you probably have seen in my previous posts), I am here to STUDY abroad. My school, USIL, hosts all the IPSL (my program) students, as well as a few other study abroad organizations. Overall, there are about 25 international students at the school. The school is a few blocks from the plaza, on Pampa del Castillo (I've gotten really good at explaining it to taxis). The building has ancient Incan stones at its base, and Spanish architecture on top, and a sunny courtyard in the middle. All of my professors are cute Peruvians filled with knowledge. Whether we are talking about ancient Incan remains, the process of weaving the delicate textiles, or simply what new foods to try, they are always sharing and helping in any way. I am currently taking Institutions in Peruvian Society, Art and Design, Spanish 1, Biodiversity in Peru, and Incan Architecture. All of which are fantastic.

And to make sure I take advantage of all the opportunities Peru offers, I complied a list of some of the things I want to do while I am here...


TO DO IN PERU 

Learn to salsa 
Speak Spanish 
Eat the wide variety of potatoes (apparently there are over 1,000)
Try guinea pig (a local favorite)
Visit the jungle
Fly kites every Sunday at Cristo Blanco
See the Nazca Lines
Drink the local beer, Cusqueña 
Meet locals and tourist/backpackers
Go to Machu Picchu
Hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu 
Take a picture with a llama 
See Lake Titicaca
Horse back ride in the mountains
Sand board in Ica 
Visit the Sacred Valley 

Any suggestions? 


No comments:

Post a Comment