Monday, September 10, 2012

Hola from Panama! (laura)


 CHICAS!!!
After an amazing, overwhelming, and exhausting twelve days… I now have some time to write! I miss each of you sooo much. Actually Brelyn, not so much… awkward…. Haha anyways, I’m already in love with Panama. When we first arrived to the country, we stayed in this beautiful little hotel called Los Capitanes in El Valle de Anton.  This valley is an old volcano crater… one of the largest inhabited volcano craters in the world! Story has it that the locals way back when did not realize they had built their homes on an active volcano until one day when they began to see it steaming….
The owner of Los Capitanes was an old German sailor named Manfred. At night, he would tell us stories of his time on the seas and travels in Africa as we sat out in the yard drinking “cervecas”. I truly enjoyed listening to his beautiful and many times hilariously German accounts. We spent a few more days in this paradise getting to know each other (17 SIT kiddos) and learning about our crazy schedule for the next 4 months. I did not want to leave El Valle, but this past week was spent in Panama City. It’s stunningly beautiful in some places, but unfortunately polluted and over-populated in a lot of places, too. We’re only here for a little bit before we set off on our grand trip around the country. I definitely try to get a more detailed entry in before we start, but I’ve got to get to the dinner table! My wonderful host mom made my favorite...spaghetti! Until later…

hiking in the lush Valle de Anton

not all boats in canal are cargo ships

beautiful Casco Viejo

skyline from the famous Amador Causeway near canal

home sweet home! this is the street I live on. 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment