Monday, September 24, 2012

heading to the interior! (Laura)


Buenas! 

I hope all is well in Peru, India, Argentina, and France! Things in Panama have been loco! 

After a long last week in Panama City, I celebrated my last night in true Panamanian style. Thursday night my spanish friend, Jobe, took it upon himself to talk my host mom into extending my curfew and letting me go out with him to a discoteca. After a lot of sweet talking, it was a go! Hanging out with just Panamanians, I felt I was getting the real discotecca experience. (Unlike the other times when I just leave feeling very white.) After an a few minutes of feeling like that, I got the hang of it and ended up having an absolute blast. The club was called "Chill Out", but it was definitely not tranquilla (chill). After getting home after 4am, I quickly took a 2 hour nap and then got ready for a big day of school, packing, and travel. I left Panama City that day with everything I need for this 2 month journey on my back. 

Our first stop on the adventure outside of the city, or "la Interior", was a little home near the small town of La Villa. One gracious family hosted all twenty of us in their home. Though we had to sleep on the floor, It was lovely. In the mornings we would drink coffee and listen to the guitar for a few hours. I say listen because that's all I could do, but it seems like half the group knows how to play. I'm looking forward to learning. Saturday afternoon we went the annual carnival in Citre. It was beautiful. Each province has a float in the parade and we had fun dancing and enjoying this day-long celebration of Panamanian culture. There was a lot of dancing... at night there was this concert type thing that was great! It was more of a big salsa party. We ended the night dancing in the street. That was a great, busy day.

After Saturday, we were so exhausted so we had a lazy Sunday morning. Our host family offered to take us to the beach and it was the perfect way to end our time in La Villa. We swam and walked on the beach all day. There was just one catch-- the only transportation the family had for us to take was a COW truck. Yes. So 20 gringos hoped in the back of this bright red cow truck and ventured down a dirt road that led to the beach. It was hilarious to be relaxing in the water and see the giant red cow truck on the shore just waiting to take us back home. That night was filled with more music... and yes, homework. I am studying abroad. I finished my 4th research proposal last night. I will be researching ecotourism opportunities in smaller communities for my community comparison research project.

(Jumping to today)
Originally, I was supposed to leave for Loma Bonita early this morning, but after a miscommunication with some of the villagers, our time there doesn't start until tomorrow. After hearing of the news, we quickly packed our bags and headed for a quaint hotel called Hotel La Villa. It's so nice to have this surprise day off,  although I was super excited to stay in a small village with an indigenous family. They have been spoiling us at this hotel. After hiking here with our big packs, we all threw our bathing suits on and jumped in the pool. We were served fresh pineapple juice and the rooms have PILLOWS, SHOWERS, and AC! These things are luxurious to me now. My day has consisted of swimming, napping, and reading about Patagonia. I have absolutely no complaints! I can't wait to write to y'all about my stay in Loma Bonita. I will be working with a indigenous family all week. I have no idea what lies ahead except for these three things:  No electricity. No running water. May have to bathe in a waterfall. 

Until later...

 
Carnival in Citre... note the mirror on the red devil.

Best way to wake up. 

traveling in style to the beach.


La Villa beach at sunset. 

xoxo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment