Sunday, August 12, 2012

three days, here we go! (cole)

Well, the time has come.. the final packing, endless "goodbye" skype dates, and last minute purchases. I'm on the last stretch of getting ready for going abroad. My time at home as gone by so quickly, but then again, so has all of summer. While it was hard to say goodbye to the trail and summer camp, it was easy knowing I have so much to look forward to. 

It still has not fully hit me that I will be living in a completely new culture for four months. While I am obviously really excited for this opportunity, I am nervous to be thrown into a new situation where I do not know anyone, the area, or the language. All I can do it keep an open mind and a smile on my face.

To explain a little more about Peru and what I am doing there... I am going through a program called, The International Partnership for Service Learning (IPSL). There mission is to... "combine academic studies and community service and full cultural immersion to give students a deeper, more meaningful study abroad experience." Lately, I've been so focused thinking about the homestay and volunteering, I've almost forgotten I am taking classes... Let's hope they aren't too hard! I am living in Cuzco, which is in Southeastern Peru, near the Andes Mountains. Cuzco is hot spot for tourist, being so close to the famous Machu Pichu. I visited Machu Pichu many years ago on a trip with my grandmother - it will be interesting to go back and see it from a different perspective. 

Time to keep on keeping on... A week from now, I'm sure I will have a lot more to say.  

Adios, 
Cole 






No comments:

Post a Comment