Sunday, August 5, 2012

jaipur (aimee)

This weekend 17 of us made the trip to Jaipur. Friday morning I left my house at 3:15am and headed for the Old Delhi train station. Once we arrived we realized it wasn't going to be the train ride we had expected...we were in the sleeper cars. I've experienced a sleeper car once before - 13 hours from Calcutta to Vizag when I came to India in 2010. I remembered it being dirty and uncomfortable, especially the bathrooms...if you consider an open hole onto the tracks a bathroom. When I stepped onto the crowded train, I wasn't thrilled. The car was dark, hot and narrow. Many people had already claimed their beds (benches, really), and maneuvering around them proved difficult. My seat, 42 C1, was a top bunk. With people pushing past me from both sides, I frantically hoisted my torso up onto the high "bed" and clumsily swung my legs over onto the safety of my perch. Lying on my back I stared at the ceiling and adjusted my duffle bag to use as a pillow. 17 year old me would have been terrified, angry, and overwhelmed. But it didn't seem as bad as before. The entrance was intimidating, that's true, but once I had found my way to my bed, things looked pretty good from up there. 

my view

Once in Jaipur, my friends and I had one thing on our minds: food. We found a non-veg restaurant where we could refuel and make a plan for the day. 
We found the best view of the Pink City...from above. 
view from the minar ('tower' in hindi)

Finding adventures requires putting a lot of trust in the people around you. The rickshaw drivers who picked us up assured us they would take us to see elephants, and of course we wanted to see the elephants. When the rickshaw finally parked, I looked around me. No elephants in sight. No people in sight. I was in a back alley. I looked at Jordan and Sam apprehensively and slowly got out of the taxi. Our driver smiled and said, "this is my special place". I'm in trouble, I thought. Three girls, one middle-aged man, and an abandoned street. Many escape plans went through my mind. Why did all the boys need to be in one rickshaw? Why are they so far behind us? For a few seconds, I felt sheer panic. 
The driver smiled at me and ushered us out from behind the taxi. Just then I heard another taxi pull up behind me. Hal got out, smiling. I have never been so happy to see my friend Hal. Now we had an ex-football player around to serve as our body guard. 
"Hal, why don't you lead the way?" I said, eyes pleading for him to comply. He smiled at me and we made our way around the corner. 
Elephants. Five of them stood tall facing the opposite wall.
I checked two things off my bucket list that day: seeing an elephant, and riding and elephant. 
I think I can die happy now. 


We finished our day by visiting the Water Palace. 

On Saturday we did a lot of sightseeing - we went to Lakshmi Narayan, Ganesh Temple, Hawa Mahal, Amber Palace, and finally, Village Textiles where I got three tops and a skirt custom made.
 Hawa Mahal (Window Palace)
Amber Palace

Visiting Jaipur made me realize how much I miss mountains. Delhi is wonderful for many reasons, but scenic beauty isn't really one of them. Jaipur is filled with gorgeous buildings, people, and of course, mountains that frame the entire city.
I had a great weekend, but I am relieved to be home in GK II.


-- Aimee 



1 comment:

  1. You write well Aimee and thank you for sharing your adventure...you see the beauty around you and you also stay present to what might be going on and learning trust is a big thing...Safe travels and I look forward to reading more posts. I am on FB with your dad and this is how I see the links.

    ReplyDelete