Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What is "Real Life?" (cole)

Hello!

It seems lately, my life keeps flip flopping from one extreme to another. And nothing ever seems like "real life" anymore. Especially the fact that I will be living in the Peru for the fall. That definitely doesn't feel real. I know this sounds silly, but let me try to explain..

In May, I left Sewanee stressed, tired, and a little sad. Exam week took a lot out of me, and Grad week took whatever was left. After multiple trash bags of cleaning out my room, a few shed tears, and a handful of all night-ers, it was time for summer to begin. But before I could go anywhere, I had a week home to pack, finish up paperwork, and most importantly, relax. It was a strange transition to go from my "Sewanee life" to "home life." I went from being surrounded by peers to only having my parents in our new home in Chattanooga. I love both, it was just a bit of an adjustment. But before I could even fully settle-in, it was time for my first summer expedition, the Appalachian Trail, with my sister, Macon, who is currently through-hiking (walking 2,181 miles from Georgia to Maine.) Well, let me tell you, that was the adjustment. Stripping away all the luxuries I take for granted and living with basic necessities on my back. The first few days I struggled, but eventually I caught on to the ways of the trail. My sister and her friends she has made along the way provided insightful tips to help me with my "new life" on the trail. During my 400 mile, month long trek, I was able to see two of my fellow wanderers, and closest friends, Aimee and Campbell. June 11, Aimee and I attempted the infamous "Four State Challenge" - hiking roughly 45 miles in one day to touch foot in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. After 35 miles, sore feet, and dim headlands, we decided it was more important that we stay safe and healthy, rather than try to push farther into the night. The challenge aside, it was fun to hike with a friend ALL day long. Straight from the journey with Aimee, I got to see Campbell (who already wrote about our visit in her post) at her farm in Maryland. Campbell and her family provided beds, food, and beer - a hiker's dream! Macon still says its the best trail magic she has had yet. Soon after my visit with friends, my time on the trail was coming to an end. I continued in Pennsylvania for a few more days, and hiked side by side my sister sharing our favorite memories during my stretch on the trail, knowing my next adventure was around the corner.
  
My last day I woke up, drank coffee from Macon's hiker friendly french press, ate the end of my oatmeal, and hiked six miles out of the woods to the train for New York City. In less than 12 hours, I went from the peacefulness and simplicity of the woods to the bright lights, endless noise, and crowded streets of the Big Apple. Luckily, I didn't have to adapt to city life for long. I was headed to my favorite place ever: summer camp! I am currently working for the Fresh Air Fund in Fishkill, NY at Camp ABC. Its no secret that I love, love, loveee camp! Ever since I was a kid, camp has been my favorite part of summer, and probably my year. I grew up going to a variety of camps that I feel helped shape me into the person I am today. The Fresh Air Fund is unique in that they provide camp for low income, inner-city NYC kids completely for free. Their mission is to get kids out of the business of the city and provide with a camping experience in the fresh air (get the name?). So far, camp has been incredible! I am loving every minute of it. But again, "camp life" is so far away from "real life." Running around playing Ninja, singing "Boom-Chicka-Boom" with face paint feels like a dream world, but right now there is no where I'd rather be. Well, except Peru - but that will come soon enough.
  
I leave for Peru on August 15... Yikes! It feels so close, yet so far away. At camp you have days that seem to last forever, but before you know it has been a week- this makes for a strange perception of time. So in one sense, I feel like camp will never be over and life in Peru is far away. Likewise, its crazy that session one has already come to a close and before I know it I will be in Peru. When the time finally does come, I know I will be ready. And "Peru life"- that will be the biggest transition yet. And who knows, maybe that will finally feel like "real life."


- Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment