Saturday, July 21, 2012

sinking in (aimee)

Things have been a blur these past few days. Yesterday peer leaders came to the IES Center to show us around the city; my peer leader, Ketaki, took me and my friend to Khan Market, Lajpat Nagar, a Sikh temple, and then to Haldiram's for lunch. We talked about shopping, marriage, college, the Bible Belt...just about everything. When we stopped for lunch, Ketaki asked, "Is it okay that this isn't a sit down place?" I replied "Sure," thinking that she meant it was a take-out restaurant. But, it wasn't. It was eat-in, but not sit-down. There were many table scattered around the restaurant, all chest level - everyone was standing and eating. Although a chair would have been nice, the food made up for my achy legs. The Sikh temple was also an incredible experience. There is constant music at the temple - three men sing the "words of God" in shifts throughout the day.

Friday was by far my favorite day here. 
 Pani Puri (part of our lunch @ Haldiram's)
Sikh temple


Today (Saturday) a bunch of us met up at Lajpat Nagar to do some shopping. I'm getting much better at bargaining and maneuvering my way through the crowded, dusty streets and ally-ways. India is a constant exchange of energy - its tricky to find the balance between over-exertion and complete, passive observation. Everyone is always going somewhere fast, always selling something, always participating; I've found the best way to remain calm is to simply "go with the flow". This applies to most situations I've encountered, most notably: traffic. If one were to experience riding in a rikshaw through the critical eyes of a cautious, American driver, they will be terrified, angry, and confused. There are no traffic rules, no one is patient, and no one abides by the lines of the road. If one sees the traffic as something that flows through the road, like water, the taxi rides are much less painful. What seemed hostile and selfish to me at first, now seems different. Each driver must have a certain amount of trust to drive on the roads here. There is a sense of camaraderie that is lacking in the states; I've seen cyclists and rikshaw drivers hold on to the vehicles around them for balance, and taxi drivers are constantly consulting the other drivers for directions or traffic-jam info. Once you step into a rikshaw, a taxi-car, or onto the dusty street, you've joined the club. 

Each day here is a blessing and an adventure.
(I do miss sweet tea, though)  

-- Aimee 

No comments:

Post a Comment