Tuesday, October 23, 2012

OVER HALF WAY. (cole)

Hey Y'all,

Believe it or not, but I am already over halfway through my program here... How did that happen?? While it is scary to think that I am closer to the ending than to the beginning, I have been having an incredible time and I have many fun things ahead. Last time I wrote I was really sick, but be assured I am 100 percent better and back in action. In school, we just finished midterms and we have "spring break" next week (I am going to the RAINFOREST - Manu! My biodiversity professor organized a trip for our class. Should be fun!) I have also been on several adventures, as always. BUT, what I really want to tell you about is my volunteer work.

Yeffery, Jorge, y Cole
Mi clase
Every friday I go to a rural school with three other volunteers in a village in the highlands (45 minutes from Cusco) to teach English in the morning and participate in hands on projects in the afternoons. For some background information on the kids, school, and village... The community is based mostly on farming, though the men now go to Cusco during the day to work in construction. The women still take care of the animals and tend the fields. Families speak in Quechua, the language of the Incans. In the town, there are three churches: Jehovah Witness, Evangelist, and Catholic. Though, the majority of Peru is Catholic, the community is mostly Evangelist because the Catholic priest rarely makes it to the area - maybe a few times a year, while the Evangelists have services at least three times a week. The school runs from kindergarden to sixth grade, afterwards the kids move to an upper school farther away from the community. The entire village seems to be involved in the school. There are always mothers around cooking or helping work; each has certain day of the month to come and give a hand. A green house and guinea pig farm have also been put in at the school, to teach the students practical skills and produce income. The kids live simple lives, but are always so happy. Most are from big families, as many of eight or nine kids. They are required to work in the field and help in the house. School seems to be an outlet, where they are allowed to be kids. They are given two to three recesses a day, which they love. Volunteering at school is definitely a two way street. While the kids are able to learn basic English and the school has work done, I am learning so much. I have a new comprehension of Peruvian life and culture.
Pizarra con palabras inglesas
Victor y su arte
Mujeres para cocinar
Patio de recreo y reunión
Like I said, we go every friday and when our car arrives to the school, the students all chant, "INGLÉS, INGLÉS, INGLÉS." Its the best feeling. The kids are genuinely excited to see us and learn. My class are eight and nine year olds. I LOVE them. Though my Spanish is a little rough, I can still communicate with them enough to get by. This past week I taught my class nature words in English. We took a little walk outside and pointed out things like "rock" and "sky" and "tree" - which was also helpful for me to learn/practice. Afterwards we returned to the class where we drew landscapes and labeled the places. Sadly, my few hours in the class ended sooner than I would have liked. In the afternoon, we painted the playground, an easy way for us to help keep the school looking nice. Before we left, the women offered us the soup they were cooking. The chicken was killed that morning and Keegan, a boy in my program, helped skin and cut it. Needless to say, it was fresh and delicious. Each Friday, I leave and already start looking forward to the following week. If I had it my way, I would go everyday and maybe even move in with a family. But alas, I have to go to my own classes during the week to attend. I am excited for the next final 5 weeks in the school. It will be devastating to leave (there will definitely be some tears shed), but we have many more projects and lessons before that day!

Love from Peru,
Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment